You are here:
The CSB stands for Quality
The quality of the CSB is guaranteed by the fact that it has been established at the Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, one of the most renowned university hospitals in Germany. As an academic facility the CSB is neutral and is obligated only to science.
The CSB undertakes quality projects in a number of diverse areas: Its basic science research has established a strategic quality development regime; and with the Berlin Stroke Alliance (BSA e.V.) a consortium has been initiated that is promoting quality in patient care.
- Procedures followed both before and during acute stroke treatment are being improved continually to reduce the lapse of time between start of symptoms and start of treatment. As a rule, the earlier the patient is treated for stroke, the smaller will be the impairment caused by it.
- Nevertheless, therapies beyond the routine 4.5 h-lysis window can also be offered in the context of studies.
- After the acute stage, patients are in good care and will not be left on their own. In the Stroke Service Point, they and their families will find thorough counseling regarding rehabilitation and long-term care, new and proven therapy approaches and other aid and care packages.
- The BSA is a quality alliance for Berlin in which about 40 stroke care providers have come together with the purpose of improving treatment procedures.
- The BSA also offers an extensive choice of continuing education courses for lay persons, practitioners and medical specialists.
- Through its stroke unit treatment in the Department of Neurology and Experimental Neurology in three branches, the CSB has access to more than 2,000 patients per year, i.e. about one fifth of all patients affected by stroke in Berlin.
- Up to 40 % of stroke patients can be recruited for studies. While the Trial Team continues to work as a site management organization (SMO), the expertise of a study coordination center was also established within the CSB.
- The experimental laboratories are giving incentive and impetus for good scientific practice in biomedical research on the national and international levels. With their extensive expertise, diversity of stroke models and comprehensive spectrum of methods, the experimental labs are among those internationally at the top.
- Our results are founded on solid reproducible data, valid models and methods as well as transparent verifiable standards and procedures which are continually being critically reexamined and improved. We are among the first research facilities worldwide to establish a structured quality management for experimental research.
- The CSB is open to knowledge transfer, information exchange and provision of expertise for external clients. For cooperation partners and sponsors CSB offers transparence and continuity.